- About us
- Online retreat
- Message Board
- Podcasts & videos
- Bring the Good News
- Everyone Loves A Wedding
- Light Brings Joy
- What is Cathlics on Call? A Perspective from a Recent Participant
What do you really want to do with your life? Who do you want to be? How do you know if you’re on the right path? How is God speaking to you about your career choice?
These aren’t easy questions for anyone, especially for young adults. You may feel a little lost, like you are just drifting. Sometimes, you need the help of others in finding answers.
Catholics On Call assists young adults to reflect on God’s call in their lives. We reach out to people like you—men and women of college and post-college age—who may be considering the possibility of a life of service in the Church as a lay minister, religious sister or brother, or priest. Through this website and through the programs we offer, Catholics On Call can help you learn more about the opportunities of service in the Church and about listening to God’s call in your life.
Catholics on Call supports Catholic young adults (ages 18-30) as they strive to discover God’s call in their lives, and explore the possibility of a life of service in the Church.
A national vocation discovery program of the Bernardin Center at Catholic Theological Union, Catholics on Call is dedicated to helping young adults from diverse backgrounds explore a call to ministry in the Church and to learn about leadership roles as lay ecclesial ministers, men or women religious, or ministry as ordained deacons or priests.
Catholics on Call supports young adults by:
- hosting annual young adult conferences. In a welcoming, no-pressure environment they form a diverse community of peers and mentors. Together they explore a life of service in the Church by learning about its rich tradition, listening to one another, and hearing experienced ministers share stories about their calls. The participants gain a better understanding of vocation, prayer and discernment and acquire skills needed for making future life decisions, broadening their hearts and minds to ministry.
- providing ongoing formation for past participants. Online retreats and alumni gatherings allow past participants to stay connected with their peers and mentors and continue to build a network of support.
- offering a vocation-focused website. This online tool, together with other social media, makes available ministry related resources such as Scripture reflections, essays, book reviews, podcasts and other articles.
- partnering with ministerswho work with young adults. These partners – including vocation directors, campus ministers, volunteer program directors, young adult ministers, etc. – are committed to preparing a new generation of leaders in the Church, encourage young adults to participate in our programs and journey with them in their discernment process. At the annual partner conference they come together to learn and reflect about common issues, find support, encouragement, and an opportunity to network with each other.
Catholics on Call undertakes all of this as a part of God’s mission that is shared by the Church, so that God’s People may be better nourished and served, and be of greater service to the world.
Catholics on Call is a program of The Bernardin Center at Catholic Theological Union, Chicago, originally funded by the Lilly Endowment Inc. under the "Making Connections" Initiative, and co-sponsored by DePaul University and Loyola University, Chicago.
Associate Sponsors are:
- Lewis University, Romeoville, Illinois
- St. Francis University, Joliet, Illinois
- St. Joseph's College, Rensselaer, Indiana
- Calumet College of St. Joseph, Whiting, Indiana
Religious communities, universities, and volunteer organizations are partnered with Catholics On Call to support young adults as you discern your call from God.
The Catholics On Call staff are hard-working, dedicated, and are here to help you with your journey of discernment.